Microsoft has discovered a critical issue in the recently released October Cumulative Updates for SharePoint Server 2010 and Project Server 2010, and have removed the files from download availability. If you have already downloaded the CU, do not install it. If you have installed the CU, please contact Microsoft Support for assistance. Microsoft will be posting additional information about the issue as soon as they have it, and will make the Cumulative Update available for download again as soon as the issue has been fully resolved.
The October Cumulative Update makes some changes and updates to the user profile database. Unfortunately there are certain situations where this update does not complete as expected and leaves the update in an inconsistent state. This causes issues with several SharePoint features that use the User Profile Application such as MySites, People and Expertise Search & Ratings.
If you have already applied the October Cumulative Updates
You should perform the following steps below;
Note: If you encounter any issues following these steps or have questions specific to your environment/deployment please call Microsoft Product Support for assistance.
Check the following locations for the Microsoft.Office.Server.dll to determine the version. If the version is 14.0.5128.5000 or greater, the October CU is applied.
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\ISAPI\Microsoft.Office.Server.dll
Using Central Administration perform the following steps
- Click on Manage Service Applications
- Select User Profile Service Application by clicking on it
- At the top of the screen on the Service Applications tab, click on Manage
- On the Manage Profile Service: User Profile Service Application page, click Manage User Permissions
- On the Permissions for User Profile Service Application dialog, you will need to;
- Specify the desired user accounts and click the Add button to add them to the list
- By default SharePoint 2010 RTM has these accounts;
- NT Authority\authenticated users
- All Authenticated Users
- Once the user accounts are in the list, you will need to set the permissions appropriately for your environment and click OK.
Note: info as received from Microsoft SharePoint Team