Here is a high level summary of the key new features of SharePoint 2010 along with my comments and favourite features in RED.
There are some other features that administrators will find really useful;
- Visual Upgrade. This means you can upgrade from 2007 to 2010 without impacting or changing the user interface.
- Unattached Content. Imagine the power of this!! being able to recover data from another content DB without having to recovery the whole farm. Wow!
- Enhanced Usage reporting and logging
- Large List throttling to maintain system performance. Mortal users will be prevented from deleting LARGE lists (millions of items) which could affect the system performance at peak times. This capability is retained with the Administrators.
- Advanced workflow management capabilities with SharePoint Designers
- Visio Services - Visual representation of data-linked diagrams for users without Visio
- and more….
I am personally excited by the fact EPM2010 lives on SharePoint 2010 i.e. uses this as a platform. With the combination of the two, I am like a child eagerly waiting to open my Christmas present!
Hope this helps you in understanding the key features and aids in the decision making process for moving to SharePoint 2010. Let me know your thoughts on what your key feature are, what you think is still missing from 2010 and could be enhanced. I would be interested in hearing from you.