Why use EPM instead of Microsoft Project Standard?
EPM Provides a Centralised working environment to manage projects/activities. Benefits by Roles;
Project Managers (PM)
- Use of Standard Enterprise work structure templates to plan projects/activities.
- PMs simply select the most appropriate template to create their project plan or activity plan.
- The templates have the 'core' work structure, with estimated durations and dependencies, already setup. PMs need to modify start date and certain key aspects of the new project.
- Standard Enterprise Views for data entry/update. Consistent approach used by all PMs.
- Use of Standard Enterprise Views for monitoring and tracking project/milestone progress. Consistent approach used by all PMs.
- Approving TM updates automatically updates projects
- Security/Access Control can be tightly controlled by owner
- Project Artefacts are version managed.
- Alerts for changes
- Discussions, Wikis, Surveys
- Workflow can set configured (MOSS)
- Programme Managers can create cross-project dependencies (Hard and Soft)
- Review rolled-up progress on programmes and publish executives
Portfolio Managers (PPM)
- Project Portfolio Managers can review progress on all their projects/activity plans in their department/division
Team Members (TM)
- TMs can review detail of multiple projects they are working.
- TMs can collaborate on Project/Activities;
- TMs review their 'work-stack'/assignments across multiple projects
- TMs report progress on projects assignments
- As a by-product of PMs' managing projects in EPM, executives/managers gain 'real-time' visibility of Milestone/Phase and project progress, via flexible/customisable reports/views.
- Executives can collaborate on Project artefacts (documents, risks and issues)
- Built-in Workflow for requesting Status reports from PMs
- Ability Manage best practice for planning by maintaining the templates based on completed project performance i.e. following LL and EOP report.
- Improving on best practice and consistency of Project Management including planning is key progressing up the CMMI scale.
- EPM maintains a common ERP which is used by PMs to resource their projects
- Manage Proposed and committed resource requirement on projects
- As a by-product of PMs' managing projects in EPM, Resource Managers gain 'real-time' visibility of their resource demands.